First of all, we want to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your interest in visiting Wings of Heart Sanctuary and in meeting all of the rescued animals who live here. Before completing the form to register your interest, we would be grateful if you could read the following information first.
What do Visits to Wings of Heart Sanctuary Entail?
Open days are usually carried out on days organised in advance by the Sanctuary and generally consist of a tour of the facilities led by an experienced volunteer who acts as a guide. The tour includes information about our work, the opportunity to meet some of our rescued residents and learn their stories. In general, we are visiting by members, sponsors, donors and those who want to find out more about our work.
When and How to Visit the Sanctuary?
Until the end of 2014, we hosted a number of open days and welcomed hundreds of people to the sanctuary on visits. We believe that connecting with people and giving them the opportunity to meet the animals under our care and learn their stories is a powerful way to encourage compassion and justice towards animals.
During 2014 we rescued and gave shelter to 120 animals and in the first half of 2015 to around 100 more. In most cases, animals are often in poor health condition or have physical injuries due to previous exploitation, abuse, or abandonment to which they had been subjected. This can result in the animals requiring round-the-clock care and very specific living conditions in terms of space and social groupings. In addition, and importantly, the animals can often be frightened of people due to their traumatic experiences in the past. The fast increase in numbers of animals meant that space was at a premium and so carrying out group visits became more difficult to execute safely.
Due to the needs of the rescued animals and the limited space we have available at present, we took the decision to pause the open days until we are able to, once again, guarantee that the experience will be a positive one for everyone involved.
We sincerely hope that you understand this decision and we continue to work hard to ensure that we can share the sanctuary with our supporters again in the not-too-distant future.
If you want to be notified when the Sanctuary is ready to relaunch the open days, leave us your information by filling in the form below and we will send a message to your email when we have dates confirmed. The visits will be, as before, on days elected by us (generally Saturdays) to which people then subscribe. As we have a large number of people who would like to visit, we give priority to the following groups of people:
- Members of Wings of Heart and sponsors of the animals, because these people are the income source that sustains the sanctuary every month
- Donors to Wings of Heart
- Those interested in knowing more about our work with a view to supporting us in the future.
Thanks again for your interest and support in working with us to build a safe home to give back to the animals everything that they have had stolen from them.
As a not-for-profit organisation, our work is only possible thanks to the support of partners, partners, sponsors and donors. We do not receive any kind of state subsidy. Please consider helping us maintain our work by protecting animals from cruelty by making a contribution at the end of the visit. We cannot do it without your help!
Please take a moment to complete the form below so that you will be the first to know when we are able to welcome visitors to the sanctuary once more.
[VERY IMPORTANT: Don’t forget to check your inbox for our confirmation email. Please check your spam and promotions folders if you do not receive the notification to your main inbox].
How did you hear about Wings of Heart:
(*) Conditions of visits:
- Do not give anything to animals without permission
- Stick to the itinerary established by the volunteers who will guide the visit.
- Dogs: Although we love dogs, please leave your doggy friends at home! Many animals here are frightened by new dogs. We do not have anywhere here to house them during the visit and parking is often in direct sunlight. Please consider this and never leave your friends in the car.
- Children: Children under 16 years of age may only attend as accompanying parents or legal guardians and under their sole responsibility.
- Smoking is prohibited within the sanctuary.
- Visitors are allowed only at the sanctuary facilities during guided and arranged tours.
- Everyone must sign to confirm that they understand the liability insurance policy.